donderdag 18 april 2013

The future frontier of Procurement: Realtime insights and predictive analytics


I’ve just read two interesting blogpost of Joe Payne about predictive analytics in procurement.

Although I definitely see the value of  'predictive analytics', I think the definition itself for the content of his blogposts is to narrow. It’s just scenario 3 in which there is something about 'predictive analytics': ‘provides a forecast out for the year based on’.  

I think 'predictive analytics' is (a very important) part of a greater whole. At the same time I must admit I haven’t got the right label for that ‘whole’, but it could be something like: ‘Real time insights and Predictive analytics in Procurement’, ‘Procurement Excellence 2.0’, ‘Managing the now and the future of spend’, ‘Insights based decision making for now and the future’, and then probably a somewhat catchier name…

But as you see, the key elements are mainly now, future, decision making, realtime insights and predictive. What I want to make clear with those non-catchy names is that a new version of procurement is around in which Operational decision making in procurement is based on realtime information and strategic decision making is based on predictive analytics.

I named it a ‘new version’, but ‘upgrade’ is perhaps a better word, because most traditional procurement parts are still necessary, or better: they are the building blocks for the upgrade (sourcing strategy, purchase to pay, spend analysis, category tree, master data management).

The change for the procurement department will mainly be in their way of working: how to interpret the information and how to use it to make better decisions. Cooperation with IT experts, content expert (to define which information is useful) and analytic experts to assure the right input/output, software selection and maintenance, master data management is a prerequisite in order to succeed.

It is something new (at least for procurement) and it will cost some time and money to implement it, but it will become the new frontier in procurement. And as Joe Payne mentions in his blogpost: The investment will be substantial, but so is the payback.’


6 opmerkingen:

  1. Real time decision making in procurement and category management is certainly very exciting but I wonder if organisations will remain lean enough to be able to take quick decisions. With procurement always needing stakeholder buy in this will be very interesting to watch develop, Kevin. The future will indeed be exciting to be involved in. www.futurepurchasing.com

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Real time decision making in procurement and category management is certainly very exciting but I wonder if organisations will remain lean enough to be able to take quick decisions. With procurement always needing stakeholder buy in this will be very interesting to watch develop, Kevin. The future will indeed be exciting to be involved in. http://www.futurepurchasing.com

      Verwijderen
  2. Hey Kevin this the only reason Flipkart is suing the predictive analysis.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. It’s amazing in support of me to have a site, which is useful in support of my know-how. thanks admin, you surely come with remarkable articles. Cheers for sharing your website page.Excellent blog here...
    Procurement Management Software
    Procurement Management System
    e Procurement Management Software
    Best Procurement Software
    Procurement Software Companies

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. I had the pleasure of working closely with Mr Pedro for several years as business partners. During the time that Pedro and his loan company team served as the Mortgage Representative for my home also for my business financing and he helped me closing off loans which really helped me in my business today, we were consistently far above our goal and this can only be attributable to Mr Pedro's hard work. I appreciate your hard work and also big thanks to your team for helping me with a loan to grow my business. If you are looking for a loan of any kind, contact Mr Pedro on pedroloanss@gmail.com Mr Pedro is an honest loan officer working with a huge number of investors willing to finance any project.
    Thankfully, over time our relationship grew beyond work and I’m still happy to call him a trusted friend.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen